Monday, March 28, 2011

The Chocolate-Almond Croissant Challenge update

First, an update. The place right beside me, Fournil St. Nicolas, where the first one was burned. It unfortunately still gets an "eh." Nothing special, and really not that much flavor. I tried another almond pastry from there and I think the issue is just that however they do their almond paste leaves it really bland. The chocolate-almond croissant will be worth it occasionally simply because it's right beside me, but the place also has amazing chocolate muffins, so I've got better options. 

And our new contender--Le vieux four de St. Anne (The old oven of St. Anne). It is in a cute, old, and nice part of town, so hopes were high. As you can see, so was appetite, hence only most of it being present in the picture (these things tend to look alike though, so I'm not really worried about the pictures).

This croissant was awesome in a really subtle way. It was less sweet than the others, and all the flavors were mellow but really nice. The almond came across first and the chocolate came right at the end, and tasted more like dark than milk chocolate.  I also really liked the pastry (the dough part? I need better culinary words). It was not as heavy and buttery as some of the other ones I've had.  This one is definitely the current leader for the "best" croissant if you really want to sit down and pay attention to what you're eating. It's also right by a park I like, so I see future Saturdays (Sundays? Must check days it is open) well spent with a book, a chocolate-almond croissant, and me sitting in the grass. Ahhhhhhhh......

No comments:

Post a Comment