Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The chocolate-almond croissant challenge lives!

It's baaaaaack! I hadn't had a chocolate-almond croissant in forever! I got away from my rabid new Frenchie bad-pastry-a-day habit and started eating more normal things like regular croissants (which are of course not healthy, but are certainly better than what I had been getting) and only doing so relatively rarely. But on a recent Saturday, I was shopping, saw a bakery, and suddenly remembered those delightful pastries I was hunting! It was a bakery I hadn't been to before and I had to see if they had my croissants. They did! I didn't take a picture of it, since it was in the bag with something else that got all over it and made it look odd (yes, I did jump back into the super-sweet pastry world by getting two things at once, don't judge me).

This croissant was goooood. It may have the advantage of being the first in a while, but it was really excellent. It had none of the sogginess that tends to plague these croissants, but it wasn't crispy either, so it sat in just the right zone for the dough texture for me. And the chocolate-almond filing was well done--there were two stripes of chocolate near the edges with an almond stripe in the middle, so you could create differently flavored bites easily. I was sold. But, since you're going to demand it, I'll re-up my  challenge effort and find others to compare this one to, ok? Wouldn't want it having an unfair advantage!

1 comment: