Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sweden: Land of things that come in tubes

Things are well in Sweden! I am settling in nicely, happy with the dorm despite the death metal fan above or below me, good with work, and reunited with some friends I haven't spent a semester with in a while. The weather is generally nice, not too cold, although this morning there was beautiful crazy ice everywhere (below). Also, it's not getting dark until 5:30, and if I was so inclined, I could get in a couple of extra hours of sunlight by getting up at 6:30 when it rises! Not gonna happen...



So as with my WTF series in France, I'm going to try to have a short post series here in Sweden. It will, at least for a while, be about things in tubes. Before coming here I was sent an article about things to expect in Sweden, and one of them was that everything comes in tubes. The author was not wrong...

Edition one--jam (sylt in Swedish). These tubes are enormous. I'm sorry I forgot something for scale, but they're about 10 inches long. How awkward is that? Even if you have an enormous vat that you use for jam, can you imagine the sticky tidal wave that is the inevitable result of trying to transfer that much jam into anything?  I stuck with a glass jar. I'm just not Swedish enough for jam sausages.


No comments:

Post a Comment