Sunday, July 4, 2010

I'm going to the Netherlands!

So I finally found out where I start my program, and lucky for me I got my preference! I'm going to Groningen, The Netherlands. Awesome! As I know only two Dutch phrases--how to ask for one ticket to Scheveningen and how to ask someone to have sex with me in a kitchen (it rhymes, don't judge me)--I got a Lonely Planet phrasebook (recommended by a trusted travel advisor) and hope to become at least proficient enough to get around town.  Looking at it has been a little discouraging so far, as all the words have far too many letters. Particularly consonants. That don't go together. Example, you say? Alsjeblieft. No, I didn't just fall asleep on the keyboard. That is the informal form of "please." Yikes... I'm going for speaking proficiency mainly though, and it apparently is pretty easy to hear and understand. We'll see!

I also get to go to summer school in the most stereotypical-looking Scandinavian fishing village! I can't wait to start!

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry Katie, when you hear the words you'll learn faster. Otherwise, just talk really fast and run them together, then no one will understand anyway! Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place looks beautiful! I can't wait to visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to the Netherlands a few times and the great thing is, most of the Dutch speak English. Can't wait to read about it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alsjeblieft!!! One of my dutch fav words--it sounds so cool. And the only one ppl like my sister and Lexi know b/c they heard me say it so much when I first got back from Belgium. Once you learn how the "j"s and "ij"s etc sound, you'll know how to pronounce 80% of the words--no worries :-)

    ReplyDelete