Friday, July 9, 2010

Kate?

My first name is Katharine (yes, spelled like the Hepburn). I have, however, been Katie since I first arrived on the scene. I remember one time in middle school I told a friend and her mother that I was thinking about going by my middle name. They both laughed and said I couldn't just decide something like that. I was discouraged. I realize now I should have told them to shove it, but alas, it was middle school and such confidence was lacking.

Recently however, I have thought about being Kate when I start my adventure in Europe. I've tried it out, giving it to restaurants to call out when my food is ready, putting it on the dressing room with my clothes, etc. I would love to be like Evangeline Lilly (who I think is beautiful) as her awesome chick "Lost" character :) I may just need to give it more time, but I can't get Kate to feel right...  I've also been told numerous times that Katie suits me well. I'm just beginning to feel a bit old to be a Katie. Hmm. IDENTITY CRISIS!!!! :)

4 comments:

  1. I don't know. I already know 2 other Kate's and it'll throw off my friend name balance! Haha. What about going by "kay" or "tee", okay okay. I understand about the 'ie' ending though. Did you think about going by 'Kat' though I don't know if that is less kid-ish, or maybe Kathy (may be too grown up). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie suits you fine (and has restored my faith in the name b/c you know how ppl ruin names? I wanted to call my future daughter Kaitlin but was afraid of ppl shortening it to Katie b/c I disliked that name for so long so kudos for you for restoring that name. However I digress...) I think Kate suits European you. Go for it!!

    P.S. What's your middle name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Katie! It's Katie! I think I met you at a wedding last weekend. I was helping Heather, the photographer. Welcome to the blog world! I found a link to you from Jennifer's blog. I've always liked being Katie (just don't call my Kathy!), but I also have two nieces with Kate as a middle name. I think Kate sounds very classy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the input guys! I know Katharine has tons of short forms, but really the only two I like are Katie and Kate! And I agree 100% Katie-Kathy is definitely not my style. Kat has some amount of potential, but less than Kate. I'll probably take at least my whole last month in the US to decide!

    ReplyDelete