Monday, July 19, 2010

Working out!

I'm trying to get back into shape. Until recently, I hadn't belonged to a gym since I graduated two years ago. I loved the university fitness center, because I would usually go at uncrowded times and so had no trouble getting a machine AND, big for me, it had a pool. I have been a swimmer since I was 6. I love to swim, and it's a great workout. Particularly if my cranky knees are misbehaving.

Since graduation, I had been trying to get my workouts in by walking/jogging and doing crunches. I finally had to admit to myself that that wasn't doing it. If my knees weren't bad and I could really run, I think I would have been fine, but that's not the case. (Side note-I had a dream last night that I could run. Three miles to be exact.)

So I finally joined a gym. I only joined for two months, as that was about how long I had before going to Europe, but I did it! And I've been so happy since then. I love working out on my own and have been doing a lot of that, but the new thing I've been doing since I joined the gym is classes. They're awesome! I have tried Zumba (love it, makes me feel like a complete klutz), Hip-Hop (too much choreography, even more klutzy-feeling), Group Groove (also choreography and klutzy-see the pattern?). I have also tried yoga, which I love with one instructor and don't care for with the other.

The two classes I have most recently tried, however, may be my favorites. Last week I tried Pilates. I really liked the class itself, and the next morning my stomach looked great! Then tonight, I tried spinning. And WHOA. Spinning kicked my butt like it hasn't been kicked in a long, LONG time. I'm so tired right now I almost think I started this blog entry so I wouldn't have to get up... If you haven't tried spinning, I would suggest being in some kind of shape before you go, but definitely give it a shot!

And now that I'm back in m workout groove, I really hope the European universities have good facilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment