Wednesday, February 20, 2013

On the road in Georgia

I took a road trip this weekend to visit friends in Savannah. Hellooooo southern nostaliga attack. I haven't been to south Georgia in years and had forgotten how pretty it is! The city was beautiful as always with its Spanish moss, azaleas (blooming in January due to a nonexistent winter, except the weekend I was there, which was freezing), fancy old houses and people, and the marshes.  Unexpectedly, I also really enjoyed the four hour drive. Lots of agriculture (including pine plantations and pecan groves), forests, hills, rivers, and lakes. The trip both ways coincided with dusk, which never hurts for prettiness. Neither does being recently back on birth control and HORMONES. So much beauty I almost cried. Such a girl.

Two odd things along the way:

-The peacock I almost hit because it was eating right beside the highway. Reasonably sure peacocks aren't native here...

-The "all you can eat fresh seafood buffet" restaurant (shack) in the straight up middle of nowhere. Do. Not. Trust.

A few pictures.
Beautiful Savannah



Sunset during my drive south
The salt marsh! Love these. Maybe love-hate. I worked in them for a while, which was miserable. But they're beautiful from a slight distance.

As a sorta ecologist, I hate pine plantations. But they look really cool as you drive by.

Pecan grove!

1 comment: